Saturday, July 27, 2013

French Onion Crock Pot Roast



This has become my husbands favorite food. I make it a little differently each time, it always comes out amazing. it came about when I had a roast that I wanted to cook in the crock pot, and I didn't have all the ingredients for a traditional pot roast. When I was in college the restaurant that I worked in served their French Dip sandwiches with French Onion Soup instead of the traditional au jus.  So I decided to make a roast cooked in a sort of french onion soup in the crock pot.

ingredients
2 onions halved then sliced
1 clove garlic minced
1- 2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp basalmic vinegar
4-6 tbsp butter
water (or beef stock/broth)
bay leaves
3lb eye round roast.
 salt and pepper to taste.
steak and chop seasoning.

Since I make this differently each time the cooking directions are pretty versatile. If you want to you can just put everything in the crockpot on low for 8 hours.  I like to cook the onions first, with the crockpot on high, I melt the butter, then place the sliced onions, garlic, brown sugar and vinegar in the crock pot, and cook them on high for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. I usually cook on high for about 4 hours, or it on low for 8 hours. Remove the roast and slice or shred. Ladle the soup into bowls, you can melt cheese over top if you like, I like to make a sandwich with the meat and some cooked onion in a crusty roll and dip in the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment